Faculty Evaluation Handbook

Negotiations Glossary

Senate Meeting Dates



COPE Contribution Form PDF File Format

General Membership Form  Microsoft Word Version

General Membership Form  PDF File Format

ECCFA Expense Form  Excel file format

Faculty Sick Leave Pool
Withdrawal Request Form
  PDF File Format


American Federation of Teachers (AFT)

ECCFA Facebook

ECCFA Senate Meeting
     Agendas & Minutes

ECCP3 - Pension Plan Participants

Elgin Community College

Illinois Federation of Teachers (IFT)

Elgin Community College Faculty Association

HomeOfficersConstitutionContractMembershipCOPEGrievanceAdjunct FAQs

Adjunct Frequently Asked Questions

Most questions are addressed in the pages of our Contract.
Please make yourself as familiar as possible with the sections that apply to you.
UAF2 - Article VIII; UAF1 - Article X


  1. How do I qualify for Unit Adjunct Faculty 1 (UAF1) and Unit Adjunct Faculty 2 (UAF2) status?
    UAF1 status is achieved by teaching at least three credit hours in a semester for two consecutive semesters. Once you teach at ECC for two consecutive semesters and teach again the third or fourth consecutive semester, you qualify as a UAF1.

    UAF2 status is achieved in one of two ways:
    1. teach at least twelve credit or contact hours for three out of four consecutive years beginning with your first semester of adjunct employment
    2. teach at least six credit or contact hours per semester for six of eight consecutive semesters

    Courses taught in the summer and courses taught in an independent study format do not count toward UAF1 or UAF2 status qualification.

    Counselors and Librarians
    Since counselors and librarians work on an hourly basis, the requirements also shift to hours. 

    To qualify as UAF1 counselor or librarian, you must work at least 298 hours for one 12-month period, no earlier than August of 2007 and be rehired at the end of that year.

    To qualify as a UAF2 counselor or librarian, you must work at least 596 hours per 12-month period for three (3) out of four (4) consecutive years beginning August 1994.

  2. Who keeps track of whether or not you are eligible for UAF1 or UAF2 status?
    Ostensibly, this is the job of the Human Resources department at ECC. However, with so many adjunct faculty members to keep track of, some details do get looked over. If you feel you qualify for unit adjunct status but have not been recognized, you should contact the president or a vice-president of ECCFA (listed on the "Officers" page) and the Human Resources office. (It is a good idea to keep a file of copies of your work assignment contracts from the college.)

  3. Once eligible how do I join the ECCFA?
    Once qualified, you become a member of the Bargaining Unit automatically. You are subject to all of the rights and responsibilities set forth in the Contract.

    The Human Resources department will notify you, the ECCFA Second and Third Vice-presidents, and the membership coordinator that you are eligible to join. At that point, you should be contacted by one of them and given the opportunity to sign a Membership Application Form to become a union member. Union membership grants you the right to vote on contract ratification, in all ECFA elections, run for office….( see "Constitution and Bylaws" page for more information)

    If you choose not to become a member of the Union, the Fair Share clause of the contract (2.10) allows for dues to be deducted from your salary. Additionally, you will have no voting rights in the unit.

  4. How much does being a union member cost?
    ECCFA dues are adjusted each year. Dues are dependent on your unit status and how many hours you teach/work. The annual dues are published by the ECCFA Treasurer.  You can contact the Treasurer to get the exact figure.

  5. What is the difference between UAF1 and UAF2?
    Once qualified, there are three primary areas of difference – compensation, minimum credits or work hours guaranteed—if available, and benefit levels.

  6. How much should I be paid?
    For compensation (pay) see the "Salary Schedule" Appendix in the Contract. Salary is based on credentials, unit status, and years of service.

  7. How many credit hours am I entitled to in each category?


    UAF1 (Article 10: Section 10.4.1), the minimum workload shall be three (3) credit or contact hours per semester and shall not exceed six (6) credit or contact hours, provided classes are available.

    UAF2 (Article 8:Section 8.2.1), The minimum-workload shall be six (6) credit or contact hours per semester and shall not exceed ten (10) credit or contact hours each semester, provided classes are available.

    Under unusual circumstances—i.e. extremely high enrollment, it is possible for any Unit Adjunct to teach up to 12 credit or contact hours per semester, offered by unit seniority and requiring approval by the Vice-president of Teaching, Learning and Student Development and the ECCFA.


    UAF1 (Article 10 section 10.4.2), The minimum workload shall be seven (7), not to exceed fourteen (14), hours per week during the academic year plus an additional 63 hours during the remainder of the calendar year.

    UAF2 (Article 8: Section 8.2.2) The minimum workload shall be 14, not to exceed 21, hours per week during the academic year plus an additional 126 clock hours during the remainder of the calendar year.

    Under unusual circumstances, Unit Adjunct counselors and librarians may work up to 28 hours per week offered by unit seniority and requiring approval by the Vice-president of Teaching, Learning and Student Development and the ECCFA.
  8. Do I get to choose which classes I want to teach and the times I teach/work?
    Yes. In addition to the minimum hours, the contract states that you "SELECT" your work; however, you may only choose courses/work for which you are qualified by credentials, and you may not always get those classes or times you initially requested because work load is subject to seniority.

  9. Do I have to hold office hours?
    Yes. Both UAF1 and UAF2 teaching members are required to hold a minimum of 1¼ office hours for each 3 credits taught. Those hours must be scheduled in a time and place convenient to the students. You will be assigned to a shared office. It is best to hold your office hours as close to your class hours as possible.

    Office hours are not required during the summer term.

    You must notify your dean's office of your chosen office hours. You should also notify your dean's office if you will not be available during any of your designated office hours.

  10. What are the benefits available to each level of unit status?
    Both UAF1 and UAF2 members are granted sick days, funds for professional development and expense, tuition reimbursement, and cancellation stipends, as well as higher salaries than non-unit adjunct faculty.

    For other benefits, please see Article VIII: Section 1 or Article X: Section 1.

      UAF1 UAF2
    Sick daysA. 1 day for each class each semester, maximum 2 days per semester 3 per semester
    Professional Expense
    and DevelopmentB.
    $200 plus access to the Adjunct Faculty Development fund—accumulates fall to spring $200 plus access to the Adjunct Faculty Development fund—accumulates fall to spring
    Tuition reimbursementC. earned at the rate of 1 credit for each credit taught (accrues) unlimited
    Cancellation Stipend $100 if class is cancelled within 5 calendar days prior to start and not replaced $100 if class is cancelled within 5 calendar days prior to start and not replaced
    Jury Duty/Court Related LeaveD. No loss of salary or sick leave No loss of salary or sick leave

    A. Sick days - UAF1 may use a maximum of 2 days per semester, and UAF2 may use a maximum of 3 days per semester. (Sick days do accumulate for both UAF1 and UAF2 members as additional service time through the State University Retirement System – SURS.)

    B. Professional development activities and incurred professional expenses may include professional travel expenses, conferences and workshops, tuition, books, professional publications, hardware and software, and other professional activities and supplies. The following are examples of reimbursement claims which are not considered professional development activities and professional expenses: party expenses, snack, candies for students or colleagues, gifts for students or staff, fitness center memberships, personal enrichment classes, cell phones or phone contracts, subscriptions to music download companies or movie providers, dues for professional associations not related to your position at the college, furniture, desks, chairs, equipment not directly utilized in performing the duties of your position.

    All requests for reimbursement must be submitted to the dean/supervisor for approval with attached original receipts and completion certificates. Any unused monies shall be automatically deposited in the Unit Adjunct Faculty Professional Development and Expense account.

    The Unit Adjunct Faculty Professional Development and Expense account is a shared pool of money to which a UAF may apply through the Faculty Development Committee Typically, these funds are used for graduate course tuition, extended conferences, and group projects with other faculty. For more information, visit the eNet page.

    C.Tuition reimbursement applies to the faculty member, spouse (including domestic partner), and children under 25. Only credit courses may be taken and a “C” or better must be earned.

    D. Prior notice must be given to the appropriate dean The faculty member shall promptly reimburse the College any monies paid for such service which must be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (other than payments for meals, travel or other expenses).

  11. What about deaths in your family? Are there provisions to be made if you must go out of town and will be gone several days?
    As stated in question #10, UAF1 and UAF2 members are each granted sick days. These sick days may be used in the event of a death in the family.

    In the event of an extended absence due to one's own illness or injury, both UAF1 and UAF2 members may apply for extra sick days from the ECCFA Sick Leave Bank. Application should be made through ECC's Benefits Manager in Human Resources. (Days granted by the Sick Leave Bank are done so confidentially.)

  12. Am I required to serve on committees?
    No, although if adjunct participation is requested by the administration on a college committee, any UAF participants will receive $25 per committee meeting hour. The time must be submitted on e-time and approved by the appropriate supervisor.

  13. Is the evaluation process different?
    Yes, but only in the frequency of formal evaluation. UAF1 members who have been employed for 2-5 semesters are evaluated annually by the dean or a UAF2 or fulltime faculty member. UAF1 members who have taught 6 semesters or more are evaluated biannually by the dean or a UAF2 or fulltime faculty member.

    UAF2 members are evaluated triennially (as are tenured full-time faculty) by the dean or dean's designee (usually an associate dean).

    ALL UAF members must also submit a self-evaluation annually. That form is in the Handbook and on eNet.

    More information about these processes can be found in the Faculty Evaluation Handbook on this website or on eNet.

  14. What is the pay rate for substituting for other teacher's classes?
    Substituting is paid at a rate equal to the Lane II Step 2 UAF2 counselor and librarian hourly rate. The rate changes every January 1. Consult the Salary Schedule Appendix in the Contract for the exact amount.

  15. Is there any money available for advanced course work?
    Yes. As outlined in question #10, both UAF1 and UAF2 members have professional development/ expense funds.

  16. Are there any health insurance benefits for adjunct faculty?
    As part-time employees at ECC, the only current health insurance option through the college is the Lifestyles plan, which you may purchase at your own cost. Many adjunct faculty, however, find the premiums unmanageable. The Insurance Committee continues to investigate other alternatives.

  17. Since state employees in Illinois don't pay in to Social Security, do they contribute to any sort of retirement plan?
    Yes. All ECC faculty contribute 8% of their salaries to the State University Retirement System (SURS).

  18. What rights of protection for my position do I receive from my union when I enter the union?
    As outlined in question #7, members of the bargaining unit are guaranteed a minimum number of credits on a seniority basis. All bargaining unit members also have the protection via a grievance procedure as outlined in the contract. Members of the union, in addition, are represented on the ECCFA Senate, and vote as equals with all other union members during elections and full meetings of the ECCFA.

  19. What are the rights/privileges of a non unit adjunct position?
    Federal and State labor laws provide only minimal protection for migrant, itinerant and part-time employees.

  20. If I have a question regarding the union (ECCFA), whom should I contact?
    You should contact your ECCFA senator. Your senator will contact you to let you know that he/she is your representative.

    Of course, you may also contact any officer of the ECCFA. All of the officers and senators are listed on the "Officers" page of this website. All officers have essentially the same email address—first initial, last name (

Adjunct FAQs written 08/10/2011